Yes - that’s what I am....in SO many ways!
So...since May...I've kept quite busy. Work.....a Family Reunion....a 30th High School Reunion (am I really old enough?)at which we had torrential rain that (now that I have seen pictures) turned me into a drowned rat. I have been dancing my way around getting some of my work done...including my house work. And dealing some health issues which at first, I wasn't so sure weren't in my head.
I had been “slowing down” for a while, but did not realize it was because my body was somehow losing iron - maybe just not even absorbing it. I bottomed out a few days before Labor Day and finally got myself to the doctor only to find out I was anemic. (Yeah...not IMAGINING it!)
Without all the details, and after shuffling to several doctors....we are awaiting results to hear if I have something called “Celiac Sprue” or “Celiac Disease”-- a sensitivity to gluten - which will mean a COMPLETE change in my eating habits and diet.
The offending protein, gluten, is found in wheat, barley, rye, and to a lesser extent, oats.
And it’s not that uncommon! Approximately 1 in 133 people have Celiac Disease, however, only about 3% of these have been diagnosed. This means that there are over 2.1 million undiagnosed people with Celiac Disease in the United States. (the Internet is filled with a WEALTH of information!) Just found out that my husband’s step-brother was diagnosed with it last year. He lives out in Hawaii...I may have to take a trip out there to learn how to deal with this!
Fortunately, if this turns out to be what my problem has been - there are more foods out there than ever geared towards a gluten-free diet....there are even gluten-free menus at a few chain restaurants across the country, and some regional ones too.
So....I'm trying not to count my chickens before they hatch....but let's face it....that's not easy!
And here I am staring at the calendar, seeing my birthday, Thanksgiving, and my anniversary all coming up in just a few short weeks, and I may be faced with having to find a creative new source for “stuffing” and cake! Not to mention a new crust for my cheesecake!
So....this blog may turn in to my new adventures in eating!
Bear with me....there may be ups and downs...pity parties, and celebrations. Frustrations and triumphs.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment