Wednesday, December 26, 2007

“What's That Smell?”

Yes...the new quote for the day!

My evening ended last night with “what's that smell”? This as Mike and I are about to get into bed. Yes - there is one spot in our house - in the hallway between our bedroom and the master bath (master closets on either side of the hallway), that suddenly smelled “fishy” last night. Couldn't pin it down to the carpet, or anything specific. Mike claims he's smelled it before but this is the first I've heard of it, and don't remember smelling anything before.

I have a theory - that one area is right over where the water heater and furnace are downstairs. We ran a LOT of hot water through that heater yesterday - two dishwasher loads starting in the afternoon and after dinner, and three late day showers. So....we will test the theory later when I take my shower, and I'll probably run some more hot water on purpose to see if we can re-create the smell.

Just what we need! Another home repair for 2007 - from what I can remember, we have:

  • replaced all of our 33 windows (and that's just the ones that open and close)
  • rebuilt our back deck (Mike and Scott's handiwork)
  • had some cracked stucco repaired
  • repaired the wood trim damaged by woodpeckers hunting for carpenter bees
  • had ALL the exterior home trim repainted
  • pulled off and replaced the gutters -- with a huge time gap in between because of repairs (the only reason why the drought was not a total bad thing)
  • Had a plumbing blockage inside our house repaired (a problem that arose as soon as Mike headed out of town)
  • Had the septic tank pumped INITIALLY thinking it was our problem plumbing problem (it wasn't)
I'm sure there were more things - but since I can't think of them right now, they aren't listed.

THAT is why I opted NOT to go out to the mall and Target and Pier 1 this morning to check out the sales. I'll get new wrapping paper NEXT year.

I'll pick up more Christmas cards, NEXT year (I already have more than enough leftover from previous years to cover at least half our list).

I'll pick up Christmas decor EARLY NEXT YEAR (everything is picked over now anyway).

So...if you are on our Christmas list, and your card looks familiar next year - it's because I'm being "green" and recycling!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote of the day: What's that smell?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: