Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Saga of the Missing Check

The Saga of the Missing Check (Also known as - “Local Government Incompetence”).

I do work for a local print shop -- typesetting, desktop publishing and graphics work. I’m self taught, but was trained well by the former owner (the originator of yesterday’s quote). I have done work for them since 1992....15 years - not bad...but work has been slowly declining over the years as folks have found “Publisher” (cough, cough, choke, choke). Anyone and everyone now can design there own work...which is fine...just a lot of it could use a good designer! You will find that MOST professional printers will cringe at the mention of that program. It’s not just me! And my views on it have immediately earned me respect by printers that I have worked with for the first time. In other words...they know I actually know what I’m doing (or else, I have faked everyone out pretty well!)

But...to the story. The local print show, Walker’s, gave my name to a lady in the County Commissioner’s office. They were in need of a typesetter/graphics person to design a library brochure featuring the county’s current libraries, with a nod to one coming in the future. Jamie and I hit it off immediately both over the phone and in person. There was some issue of a new county logo - someone had done one - most people didn’t like it and it will not be used. So...we still designed the brochure despite the lack of logo which I assured them I could “drop in” whenever they settled on one, and without a true rendering of a “future Douglas County Library”. So what did I use for that? Some other county library rendering they gave me - first I flipped it, then removed columns at their request, added some windows and removed some - simply to have a “place holder”.

Have I lost you yet? Bet you find your way than my check did!

That was back in October. In fact, the date on the invoice I sent them is October 4, 2007. On the invoice I charged them for the design, photo editing (had to remove people from some of the current library photos) and revisions...of which there were several. I said a final PDF would be provided upon total completion (meaning after they got me a new county logo to drop in, and a library rendering to scan and place).

A few days later I got an email - I needed to fill out a vendor form for the County so they could issue me a check....we are still in early October. I filled it out, and faxed it to them the same day.

October comes and goes. By now, I have been asked to take over a project for the county - their first time ever Parks and Recreation Guide - 32 anticipated pages plus a full color cover.

November comes - Jamie asks if I got my check...nope. She checks - they haven't even issued it yet - she gives them a hard time.

December comes - Jamie asks if I got my check...nope! She once again contacts them concerned that I have not gotten my money now over 2 months past my invoice date.

Finally a few days later, she said that the check had been issued. And I wait....and wait...and wait....and finally called her almost 2 weeks ago...still no check. But they mailed it (she was told).

Finally, right before Christmas I again inquired...and something made me ask “what address did you send it to?” because...something in the back of my mind wondered if they sent it to the “old house”...the one we moved out of 3 years ago.

Well guess what...the check printed with my old address on it (and my business name spelled wrong)...but she was sure that if there was a difference between the check address, and the invoice and vendor form, that she would have typed an envelope. Well - if she did - it apparently still was addressed to the old street....that I haven’t lived on for 3 years.

They weren’t going to be able to stop payment on the check unless it didn’t show up somewhere by January 14th!

Well - the check was FINALLY returned to them on December 27th! It went to the old address - but how on earth did they have that...I have absolutely NO billings to our County the entire time I have lived here. They said that I didn’t note on my vendor form a change of address! How can one note a change of address if they haven’t worked for someone before?

It turns out...that back in 1998, and in 2000 I did some work for an agency called “C.O.R.E.” -- I did a website. And I got paid. But I had no clue that I was working for the county. I don’t recall filling out a vendor form.

But my question is.....
  • if my BILL had my current address
  • and my VENDOR FORM had my current address
  • and my BUSINESS LICENSE has my current address
then who is the idiot who pulled up an address from some database from 7 years ago to issue me a check?

Remember that quote from the first day....“You Just Can’t Fix Stupid” - perfect example.

So now.....they got the bill for that 32 page Parks & Recreation guide on December 10th. At this rate, I’ll see my money by April...about the time that the Spring guide comes out...for which I'll get paid in May or June.....

And did I mention...they want to talk to me about designing the new County Logo!

Hope everyone has a very safe and Happy New Year celebration!

No comments: